About the first visitors
The first visitors here were Austrian and Hungarian noblemen who had been coming to Malinska since 1880 during the winter months to hunt woodcock and other feathered game. The forest areas in the surroundings of Malinska were the resting place for such game during their migration from the northern parts of Europe to the warmer parts of Africa and back.
In 1885, a participant of one of these hunting expeditions was the Austrian Crown Prince Rudolph of Habsburg. Thanks to his enchantment with Malinska, the number of visitors started to grow in the years that followed.
Recognised geologists of the University of Vienna, better known as the L. Waagen, named Malinska the pearl of the Kvarner islands in 1905 and predicted its future as a spa and bathing resort.